Ayurveda believes that a healthy body and mind is created when five elements (including air) are balanced. To help balance the air element in your body, you can do Vayu Mudra. It’s easy to do and can be done at home.
Rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica, and other mental health issues can be treated by balancing the air elements in our body. Doing Vayu Mudra can help reduce these issues caused by the imbalance of air. Keep reading to learn more!
What is Vayu Mudra?
Vayu mudra is a gesture from the ancient Sanskrit language. The word “Vayu” means “air” and “Mudra” means gesture. In Ayurveda, the Vata dosha is connected to the air element inside you.
The index finger stands for air and the thumb stands for fire. Fire is stronger than air because the thumb presses down on the index finger.
Ayurveda says that our body is made up of 49 Vayus, with 5 being subsidiary and 5 being essential. For example, Vayu Mudra helps to keep the air element in balance by controlling the flow of prana.
In order to get the most out of Vayu Mudra, it is best to do it while doing pranayama or meditating. This helps the air to flow in and out of the body evenly
How to Do Vayu Mudra?
For Vayu Mudra, the main focus is on the index and thumb fingers. All the other fingers are also involved in this practice. Here are the easy steps to do Vayu Mudra correctly.
- Pick Sukhasana, Vajrasana, or Padmasana to sit in a comfortable position.
- Before doing the Vayu Mudra, make sure to stay relaxed and be peaceful.
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply, paying attention to your breathing.
- Breathing helps your body get energy, and if you close your eyes it will help you focus more. With more practice, you’ll get better.
- Put your hands on top of your legs with your palms facing upwards.
- Bring your index finger up to the bottom of your thumb.
- Press your index finger with your thumb and use a little bit of pressure.
- At first, you might feel the pressure is a bit overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it, it will become easier.
- Keep all of your other fingers straight.
- Say the OM mantra while taking slow, steady breaths and keeping your hand still.
Duration of Vayu Mudra?
You can either do stretching exercises for 45 minutes at a time, or split it up into three 15 minute sessions. To get the best results from the Vayu Mudra, you should do this for at least two months.
Best Time to Practice Vayu Mudra?
There’s no exact way to do Vayu Mudra, but it’s best to do it in the morning on an empty stomach.
If you’re exercising at any other time than right after you eat, make sure to wait 45 minutes before you start.
Benefits of Vayu Mudra
Here is a list of some of the benefits of practicing Vayu Mudra regularly:
Vayu Mudra for Gas
Vayu Mudra is a technique that helps keep the air in your body balanced. This can reduce gas, bloating, and other stomach problems. It also helps to activate the part of the brain that controls the Vata doshas.
It helps digestion by getting rid of gas from the intestines and stomach.
Vayu Mudra for Acidity
Vayu Mudra helps to get rid of toxins and bad substances from the body. It also helps to reduce acidity by getting rid of waste products from your body.
Vayu Mudra for Back Pain
Doing Vayu Mudra with Surya Namaskar yoga poses can help decrease discomfort in the neck, shoulders, arms, and back.
Vayu Mudra for Weight Loss
When we feel stressed, our body releases a hormone called cortisol. This hormone can cause us to overeat and gain weight. Doing the Vayu Mudra can help manage cortisol levels, making it a great way to reduce stress and lose weight.
Vayu Mudra for Arthritis
Doing Vayu Mudra can help with pain and swelling, which can stop illnesses like osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis. It also increases flexibility and the ability to move by decreasing joint pain, especially in older people.
Exercising can make your muscles and joints stronger and help your body fight off illnesses by increasing blood flow.
Vayu Mudra for Anxiety
Vayu Mudra is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety when you combine it with meditation and breathing exercises. It also helps reduce tiredness during the day by keeping you relaxed and helping you sleep better.
Vayu Mudra for Hair Growth
Vayu Mudra helps bring air elements in the body into balance, which may help with hair growth by making the roots of hair stronger.
Side Effects of Vayu Mudra
Doing Vayu Mudra regularly can be good for you, but there are no known bad side effects. If you do experience any bad reactions after doing this, it is best to speak to a professional.
Vayu Mudra is a great hand yoga pose that helps with stomach-related problems. It is easy to do and gives good results. We hope this article helped you understand Vayu Mudra and use it. Please let us know if this article was useful to you!
1. What precautions Should be taken while performing Vayu mudra?
Ans: Here are some steps to take to get the best results when doing the Vayu Mudra gesture. These are:
- When you are doing Vayu Mudra, make sure you are not wearing clothes that are too tight.
- Do this gesture outside in a place with lots of air and space.
- Stay away from electronic devices.
- Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
- Keep your back straight.
2. Can anyone practice Vayu Mudra?
Ans: Vayu Mudra is no exception when it comes to safety, similar to other Mudras. But if you feel inconvenienced while performing this Mudra, stop doing it immediately.
3. Who are the people that should avoid Vayu Mudra?
Vayu Mudra might be ineffective during certain conditions, and people with the following conditions should avoid performing this Mudra:
- If you have flu, cold, or fever.
- If your shoulders, arms, elbows, wrists, or fingers are injured.
- If you are under stress.
- If you have hypertension or cardiac issues.
- If you are exhausted or sleep-deprived.