Nobody really likes the way star fruit looks, but it’s still very beneficial. It’s originally from Southeast Asia but has spread to many other places. Even though it’s not the prettiest, it has some great benefits. When it’s unripe, it’s dark green, but once it’s ripe it turns a glossy yellow. The name is because it looks like a star when it’s cut in half.
Star fruit has a delicious flavor that is both sweet and sour. It has a soft yet crunchy texture. You can use it in lots of different ways and we have some easy recipes for you to try. Let’s take a closer look at the nutrition and other benefits that star fruit offers. Read on to find out more!
Starfruit contains certain nutritional benefits, Here are some facts about them
Despite how it looks, star fruit is actually packed with vitamins, lots of other nutrients, and antioxidants. These nutrients include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B5
Benefits of Eating Star Fruit
Eating star fruit can be beneficial for you in many ways. Here are some of the advantages of having star fruit every day.
Gives Vitamins B and C in Abundance
Starfruit contains gallic acid, and vitamins B and C, which are important for boosting and strengthening your immune system. These nutrients can also help protect your skin from damaging UV rays and support healthy hair.
Balance Low-calorie and Low-sugar
If you are trying to lose weight or have diabetes, Starfruit is a great food to add to your diet. It has very little sugar and carbs, with only 3 grams of sugar and 6 grams of carbs in a 100-gram piece of fruit.
Best fibre source
The Star fruit has lots of fiber, which helps your digestive system to work well. It also helps to lower the risk of heart problems and obesity, because it stops the body from taking in bad cholesterol.
Starfruit, or five-finger fruit, has lots of antioxidants, which help it fight inflammation. Studies have found that eating Starfruit can help with psoriasis and dermatitis, two types of skin problems that cause redness, itching, and discomfort. Regularly eating Starfruit can make these skin issues better.
Aids in body detoxification
Starfruit is believed to be a good food for cleansing the body of toxins due to its diuretic properties. However, those with kidney issues should not eat it as it may cause further problems. A study on rats found that Starfruit extract may help protect against liver damage and be good for cancer prevention.
Helps In Digestion And Metabolism
Starfruit can help regulate your metabolism, thanks to its riboflavin and folic acid. It also keeps your digestive system running smoothly, as it has a lot of dietary fiber. Eating starfruit may help with nutrient absorption, lead to better digestive health, and help remove toxins and bacteria from your gut due to its anti-inflammatory and gut-friendly properties.
Gives Potential for ulcer prevention
Starfruit is commonly used in traditional medicine, like Ayurveda, for treating stomach ulcers. This is because Starfruit contains helpful components such as mucilage, flavonoids, and terpenoids which can help with this issue. Additionally, the cooling and anti-inflammatory features of the fruit can help reduce eye soreness. It also contains epicatechin, vitamin C, and gallic acid which can be used to treat mouth ulcers.
It Helps To Improve Heart Health
Starfruit is good for us because it is full of important vitamins and minerals. It has potassium and sodium, which help to keep our hearts healthy and keep our blood pressure normal.
Enhances Respiratory Well-Being
A study was done to see how starfruit juice and honey could help people with chronic pulmonary disease (COPD). The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of these two substances were found to help improve breathing and reduce COPD symptoms.
Enhances Sleep Quality
If you’re having trouble sleeping, you should try Starfruit. It has magnesium, which helps with sleeping by activating a chemical called GABA. Starfruit is also a great choice for hot days because it has a lot of water in it.
Star Fruit Side Effects
This yummy and unique Starfruit has amazing health advantages. However, there can be some negative effects as well. These are:
- Starfruit has a lot of oxalate, which could be dangerous for people with kidney problems.
- Eating a lot of Starfruit can cause kidney problems for people with diabetes.
- It’s best to talk to a doctor before eating Starfruit to prevent any problems, especially if you have a health condition.
How to Eat Star Fruit
If you don’t know how to eat Starfruit, we have given you some simple and convenient ways to do so.
- It is not recommended to eat unripe Starfruit as it tastes bad, so it is best to eat them when they are ripe.
- You can make a fruit salad by combining Starfruit with kiwis, bananas, mangoes, and avocado.
- After quickly frying starfruit slices, you can add sugar or glaze for a sweet topping.
- This makes a great decoration for cold drinks, fish, poultry meals, or even as a replacement for lemon slices.
Easy Star Fruit Recipes
Star fruit juice
- One Starfruit.
- 1 ½ cup of water.
- Juice from one lime.
- The required amount of raw sugar.
- Clean the star fruit and take out all the parts that are green.
- Cut the fruit into small pieces.
- Put the lime juice, water, and star fruit into the blender and blend until everything is mixed together.
- Before you blend again, add sugar.
- Depending on your preference, you can drink the juice directly or strain the pulp.
- Serve it chilled.
Star fruit salad
- One small thinly sliced Starfruit.
- Ten ounces of torn mixed Italian blend salad greens.
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced red onion.
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar.
- Three tbsp of olive oil.
- One tbsp of honey.
- One ounce of fresh raspberries.
- Take a large bowl and place the star fruit, onion, and salad greens into it.
- Take another smaller bowl and combine the oil, honey, and vinegar while combining them thoroughly.
- Now, pour the liquid onto the salad mixture.
- Let the mixture coat all the salad elements by tossing them gently.
- You can use a few fresh raspberries to garnish the salad
- Chopped pieces of 4 star fruits.
- Pineapple juice – ½ cup.
- Ginger syrup – 3 tbsp.
- Lemon juice – one tbsp.
- Crushed ice – two cups.
- Lemon flavored soda – ½ cup.
- Put the star fruit and pineapple juice into a blender and blend until it is a smooth mixture.
- Put the mixture through a sieve into a container.
- Throw away the leftovers.
- Add lemon juice and ginger syrup to the pieces of the mixture. Then, combine the mixture well and refrigerate it for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Pour in the mixture after you fill the glass with crushed ice.
- Finally, add the lemon soda to the glass, use star fruit to garnish, and enjoy it.
Star fruit is a tasty and nutritious fruit known for its special shape and full of all the important vitamins and minerals your body needs. Eating star fruit can help reduce inflammation and improve your digestion. Eating it in moderation is best so you can take advantage of its benefits. Let us know if this article was helpful!
1. What is the perfect way to store a star fruit?
Ripe star fruit should be eaten within a week if kept at room temperature in a basket, fridge, or counter. For unripe fruit, it can last up to 4 weeks if stored in the same places. However, it’s best to eat an overripe star fruit within a week.
2. What is the ideal time to consume star fruit?
Star fruit tastes best when eaten during its season, which is from June to February, and is at its peak from September to December. However, they can be found throughout the year.
3. Star fruit benefits in pregnancy?
Starfruit is great for pregnant women because it contains lots of important vitamins, minerals, and fiber. These nutrients can help with the mother’s and baby’s health. However, always talk to your doctor before adding anything to your diet while pregnant.